1 T. olive oil
1 white onion, chopped into thin slices
2 T. butter
2 1/2 T. flour
1/4 t. salt
1/8 t. pepper
1 C. milk
1 1/4 grated cheese (white cheddar, feta, and Swiss)
Pick your favourite pasta and prepare about enough for 2-3 servings
To make the caramelized onions:
- toss the sliced onions in the olive oil in a frying pan over low heat. Let them cook until the onions have become dark caramel in colour, being sure to stir them every couple of minutes.
- If they start to brown, turn the heat lower and keep them moving for a bit.
- melt butter over low heat in a heavy saucepan
- blend in flour and seasonings.
- cook over low heat stirring until mixture is smooth and bubbly
- remove from heat and stir in milk
- bring to a boil, stirring constantly
- once the sauce is quite thick, add in the cheese and stir to incorporate